Rates and Valuations


If you prefer to receive your Rates Notice via email, you can register for this service by completing an Online Form below.

Wellington Shire Council collects rates annually from residents and businesses located in the municipality. The income levied from rates allows Council to provide a range services and infrastructure to the community.

No items found.
No items found.
No items found.
No items found.

David Morcom

Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Communications and Media.

Julie Foat

General Manager Community and Culture
Arts and Culture, Community Wellbeing, Healthy Lifestyles, Leisure Services.

Arthur Skipitaris

General Manager Corporate Services
Finance, Information Services, Organisation Development, Business Improvement.

Brent McAlister

General Manager Development
Land Use Planning, Economic Development, Municipal Services, Customer Service.

Chris Hastie

General Manager Built and Natural Environment
Assets and Projects, Built Environment, Natural Environment and Parks.
No items found.

Name, Address or Email Alteration

It is important to inform Council if you make any change to your name, address or property ownership as soon as possible.

This helps us ensure that rates notices, pet registration renewals and other notices are delivered correctly. When ownership of a property changes, the liability for payment of rates remains with the owner until Council receives a notice of acquisition.


You can update your name and/or address details by completing our Change of Name and Address (Business) Form (please note that supporting documentation is required).

If you need to update your email address you can do this by completing an Online Form.


You can update your name and/or address details by completing our Change of Name and Address (Individual) Form (please note that supporting documentation is required).

If you need to update your email address you can do this by completing an Online Form.

Notification of Death/Power of Attorney

You can officially notify Council of a person's death by completing our Notification of Death/Power of Attorney Form (please note that supporting documentation is required).

Update Animal Details

To update your animal details please complete our Update Animal Details Form.

I have sold or purchased property

I no longer own a property. What do I do?

Your legal representative will send a Notice of Disposition of an Interest in Land providing the new property owner's details. It should be noted that liability for payment of rates remains with the owner recorded with Council until the disposition of interest notice is received by Council.

I now own a property. What do I do?

Normally your legal representative will send a Notice of Acquisition of an Interest in Land detailing the terms of the purchase (or transfer) of your property. The completed form should be lodged within one month of property transfer.

Property Valuations

Valuations are carried out by an independent contract valuer on behalf of the Valuer General. The Valuer General's department supplies them to council for use in rates calculations. The contract valuer has a thorough knowledge of sales, rentals and statutory considerations in accordance with government legislation.

Valuers are notified of any property sales in the municipality and information on rentals is obtained from owners, agents and tenants. This information is then analysed and collated so that levels of value can be established for individual areas within the Shire.

Supplementary Valuations

From time to time, a supplementary valuation is made where the property value has changed substantially due to a new dwelling, a factory, demolition of a building, new water infrastructure, fencing or improvements.

These supplementary valuations are carried out between valuations in order to bring these properties in to line and are based on the same levels of value used for the general valuation. Supplementary rates notices may be issued based on the new valuation during the year.

Revaluation Periods

Revaluations are carried out every year to reflect market relativity. Current valuations are based on values at 1 January annually which is a statutory requirement set down by the Valuer-General. The current revaluation came to effect on 1 July 2021 and will be based on the values as at 1 January 2021.

Objections to Valuations

A formal objection to a valuation may be made in relation to the value of a property upon the grounds set out in the Valuation of Land Act 1960. Ratepayers who do not believe the valuation to be correct may lodge an objection.

Lodging an Objection

All objections must be lodged within two months of you receiving your valuation notice.

Objections should be lodged using the Rating Valuation Objection Portal where you will be able to include supporting evidence and provide reasons to why you believe the current valuation is not accurate. Alternatively, you can use the prescribed objection form which can be downloaded from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website DELWP - Objecting to a rating valuation.

What happens next?

The Valuers will review the valuation and consider any information provided within your objection application. You may be contacted by a Valuer to discuss your objection further.

The Valuer has 4 months to review the valuation and will supply a copy to the Valuer-General Victoria.

The Valuer-General Victoria will formally advise Council of the outcome once the review is complete and processed through the certification stages.

Any rates changes will occur after the Valuer-General Victoria provides Council with the formal certification file. Adjustments to your rates account (if required) cannot occur until this process is finalised.  We will send you a new rates notice once the information becomes available.

I have lodged an objection, do I still need to pay my rates by the due date?

Yes, you must still pay rates by the due dates while your objection is being considered. Failure to pay rates by the due date may result in interest being charged.

Further information

For further information you may refer to the following sections of the Valuation of Land Act 1960:

  • Who can object - Section 16
  • Grounds for objection - Section 17
  • Time within which you must lodge an objection with the council - Section 18B
  • How objections are dealt with - Section 21(2)
  • The appeals process - Section 22.

Further information is available from the Rating Valuations section of the DELWP website.

Rates Calculations

Rates are based on the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of each property multiplied by the rate in the dollar (reassessed annually by Council). Capital Improved Value refers to the total value of the property, being land plus all buildings and other improvements.


General Rate = Capital Improved Value (CIV) of $200,000 x 0.004721 = $944.20
Garbage Charge = $243.20
Waste Infrastructure Charge = $55.00
EPA Levy Charge = $18.20
Total Rates = $1,260.60

Council uses a differential rating system. This means there is a different rate in the dollar applied for each different property type or category.

Contiguous areas of vacant land with more than one title in the same ownership may be consolidated for rating purposes.

Rating Structures for the 2021 - 2022 Rating Period (1 July 2021 - 30 June 2022)

General Rate
0.004721 rate in the dollar
Plus $243.20 garbage rate per service (where appropriate)
Plus $55.00 Waste Infrastructure Charge
Plus $18.20 EPA Levy Charge

Farm Rate
0.003777 rate in the dollar
Plus $55.00 Waste Infrastructure Charge

Commercial Rate
0.004721  rate in the dollar (same as general rate)
Plus $243.20 garbage rate per service (where appropriate)
Plus $55.00 Waste Infrastructure Charge
Plus $18.20 EPA Levy Charge

Waste Infrastructure Charge

You will notice a waste infrastructure charge on your rates notice. In order to comply with EPA requirements, state legislation and sound waste management practice, we have levied a charge for waste infrastructure to specifically fund sustainable waste facilities within Wellington Shire.

The charge is $55.00 for the 2021/22 rating period.

Where a single farm enterprise is conducted on several properties within the Shire, only one charge is payable for that farm enterprise on the principal place of residence. Please note however, that additional dwellings are not eligible for an exemption.

Pension Discounts

Property owners who hold a current Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or Veterans Affairs Gold Card may qualify for a Municipal Rates Concession discount from the Department of Health & Human Services, issued by Local Government. Eligible pensioners may receive a discount of up to $297.00 (which includes $50.00 towards the Fire Services Property Levy) in respect of their principal place of residence.

In order to receive this discount, an application form must be submitted which is available from all Wellington Shire Council Service Centres. If you would like to check your eligibility prior to completing an application form with us, please visit

In addition, eligible applicants may also be entitled to a retrospective rebate from the previous year.

Fire Services Levy

For information on the Fire Services Levy please visit

EPA Levy Charge

The EPA Levy charge is in place to cover the costs levied by the Environment Protection Authority on the operation of landfills, not otherwise recouped. It is levied on each property to which a Garbage Charge is applied, at the rate of one EPA Levy Charge for each Garbage Charge. The charge for the 2020/21 rating period is $18.20.

Boisdale Common Effluent System Charge

An annual service charge for wastewater availability in the township of Boisdale has been introduced for all properties that are connected to the Boisdale Common Effluent System. This charge represents a contribution towards the cost of operation and management of the system.

The charge for the 2021/22 rating period is $421.00 for residential and commercial properties.

Rates Notices

Rates Notices are mailed to your nominated postal address by default. Should you need to update your details, this can be achieved by completing a Name and Address Alteration on the links above.

If you prefer to receive your Rates Notice via email, you can register for this service by completing an Online Form.

If you would like to nominate another party to be the recipient of your rates notices, please complete and return this form.

Rates SMS Reminder Service

Ratepayers who choose to pay their rates by four instalments can take part in an optional SMS mobile or home telephone message service to remind them when each instalment is due. If you would like to subscribe to this service please complete the Rates SMS Reminder Service Form.

Rates Payment Options

You have several payment options available for paying your rates.


The instalment method spreads your payments to four amounts over the year. The dates for payment by instalments are:

  • 30 September
  • 30 November
  • 28 February
  • 31 May

Online Payments

Our website offers an online payment option for you to pay your rates. Visit our Online Payments page to pay your rates conveniently and securely.

Direct Debit

You can choose to pay via direct debit over four instalment payments on the dates listed above, or you may choose to pay off your rates over nine monthly instalments from September through to May.

To discuss using this option, please contact Council and speak to our friendly staff or complete the Rates Payment Direct Debit Request Form.


Rates may be paid over the telephone or internet using B-Pay. Simply contact your financial institution and quote our Biller Code 41293. Your assessment number is your personal identification code found on your Rates Notice.

B-Pay View

Register for BPAY View and receive, pay and store bills in your online banking account. Receive and pay bills from anywhere in the world, any time of the day or night through the security of your online banking account. BPAY View is accessible anytime and anywhere you have access to your online, mobile or phone bank.


EFTPOS facilities are available at Wellington Shire Council's Sale Service Centre and Yarram Service Centre.

Australia Post

Australia Post accepts Wellington Shire Council rate instalment payments and offer you three ways in which you can pay: in person, over the phone or on the internet. You may pay by cash, cheque or EFTPOS (debit cards only) at any Australia Post branch.

If you wish to pay by credit card, you may choose to phone 131 816 or visit and quote our biller code 0851 and your 8 digit assessment number found on your rates notice.

Financial Hardship

If you are experiencing financial hardship and require assistance, a financial hardship application form can be obtained here.

All applications received are treated in a consistent, equitable and confidential manner. Once the application has been received, a letter will be sent to you via post to notify you of the outcome.

Property Searches - For Buyers and Sellers

For land or building permit information please use the Property Enquiry Application Form to submit your enquiry.

Rates Refund Request

Eligible property owners may apply for a Rates Refund by completing and submitting the attached form.

Rating of Undevelopable Ninety Mile Beach Subdivided Lots

The Ninety Mile Beach subdivision is a 25-kilometre strip of land located between Bass Strait and Lake Reeve, which extends north of the Honeysuckles to Paradise Beach.

The land was subdivided into about 11,800 small lots from 1955 to 1969 prior to the introduction of planning controls. Much of the area is now inappropriate for development (e.g. due to flooding, lack of services etc). Areas unsuitable for

development are contained in the Rural Conservation Zone. In contrast, land contained in the Low Density Residential Zone in the Honeysuckles and Golden Beach/Paradise Beach settlements can be developed with planning permit approval.

Due to the complex history of the Ninety Mile Beach subdivisions (and associated landowner concerns), the Victorian Ombudsman prepared a report which was tabled in the Victorian Parliament. A copy of the Ombudsman report can be accessed via the Victorian Ombudsman website.

Council welcomed the independent review of the complex issues associated with the Ninety Mile Beach subdivisions and supported each of the three (3) recommendations made for Council at its meeting of 3 December 2019.

Whilst it is lawful, Council has ceased levying rates and the waste infrastructure charge on undevelopable Ninety Mile Beach subdivided lots from 1 July 2019, no further rate notices will be issued for undevelopable blocks.'

For further information please refer to the Ninety Mile Beach Plan.

No items found.
No items found.
There are currently no public alerts issued by Council.

In this section...

No items found.

You may also be interested in...

No items found.
This page was last published on:
Friday, January 21, 2022