Community Support Services

During difficult times people may experience financial hardship or may be looking for support from a range of services. There are a number of support mechanisms available to people.


Financial Counselling Services

Rural Financial Counselling
A free and confidential service to assist farmers, foresters, fishermen and rural-related small businesses with financial and other related matters. Counsellors are trained in farm financial analysis and are familiar with government assistance programs and other community services.
Telephone: 5147 0855


Gambler’s Help Financial Counselling
Financial counselling for individuals, couples and families experiencing financial and legal difficulties related to gambling problems. The service is available to the Koori community.
Telephone: 1800 242 696


National Debt Helpline
Telephone: Freecall 1800 007 007


Emergency Assistance or Relief (Food vouchers and other support)

Yarram and District Health Service
Telephone: 5182 0222

Salvation Army Sale
Telephone: 5144 6374

Anglicare Victoria at Rosedale Neighbourhood House
Telephone: 5199 2595

Latrobe Community Health Service
Telephone: 1800 242 696


General Counselling Support

Central Gippsland Health
Telephone: 5143 8600

Yarram and District Health Services
Telephone: 5182 0222

Latrobe Community Health
Telephone: 1800 242 696

Sale Counselling Service
Telephone: 5144 2121

Intrepidy Centre
Telephone: 5144 1044

Telephone: 5147 2904

New View Psychology
Telephone: 1300 830 687

SKJ Consulting
Telephone: 0439 046 037

Debra Smith Psychologist
Telephone: 5143 2077


24 Hour Crisis Support

Telephone: 13 11 14

Kids Helpline
Telephone: 1800 551 800

MensLine Australia
Telephone: 1300 789 978

National Counselling Helpline
Information and support for sexual assault or domestic and family violence. 
Telephone: 1800 RESPECT or 1800 737 732

Beyond Blue
Telephone: 1300 224 636  


Council Services

Ratepayers experiencing financial hardship can make a written application to have penalty charges waived (a link to the form can be found below).

  • Each application is assessed on its merits.
  • More consideration is given if the property is owner occupied.
  • Payment plans can also be agreed upon to clear the existing debt and also pay the current years rates and charges.
  • Ratepayers that receive Centrelink payments can elect to make fortnightly payments directly from their benefits.
  • The most important thing is to talk with Council and enter into some sort of payment arrangement to avoid penalty interest and legal action.

Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: * Required