Chistmas/New Year Bin Collection Dates 2018/19
There will be no bin collection on Christmas Day.
- Tuesday 25 December will be collected on Wednesday 26 December
- Wednesday 26 December will be collected on Thursday 27 December
- Thursday 27 December will be collected on Friday 28 December
- Friday 28 December will be collected on Thursday 29 December
All other collection dates will remain as per normal.
We provide a household rubbish collection service each week and a recycling collection service each fortnight.
Only those in declared collection areas receive a kerbside bin collection service. A separate charge for waste management is shown on rates notices for all properties in declared collection areas. (Collection areas can only be changed by a Council resolution.) All serviced households in our shire are provided with two wheelie bins, a 120 litre bin for rubbish and a 240 litre bin for recycling.
To report missed collections or damaged bins phone Toward Zero, our waste management contractor, on free call number 1300 130 129. For general enquiries please contact us on 1300 366 244.
Use the town names below to see your bin collection boundary. Bins must be out before 6am on your collection day. See the Recycling Calendar (104KB) for which fortnight your recycle bin is collected.
What Goes in Which Bin?
The small 120 litre bin collected weekly is used for household rubbish which goes to landfill. Bag your rubbish to help keep your bin clean and avoid bad smells. Use your 120 litre bin for all household rubbish that you cannot put in our kerbside recycle bin such as:
- Plastic bags (eg. shopping, freezer, garbage and bread bags)
- Broken crockery
- Window or mirror glass (wrapped)
- Disposable nappies
- Cling wrap and plastic wrapping
- Disposable gloves
- Light globes
- Syringes or medical waste (wrapped)
- Plastics with no recycle code number
- Food scraps - See our Sustainable Gardening page for information on composting
The large 240 litre bin collected fortnightly is used for recycling only. Place your recyclables loose in your bin - do not put them in plastic bags. Empty containers to avoid contamination, and flatten boxes and cans to save room. You do not need to rinse or remove labels. Your 240 litre bin should be used for the following recyclables - for more information on what you can put in your recycle bin, see the Get it Right on Bin Night website.
- Steel and aluminium cans (Including aerosol cans and empty paint tins)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastics printed with Recycle Codes 1 to 7 (No polystyrene foam)
- Cardboard and paper (No waxed board eg. fruit boxes)
- Aluminium foil and trays
Putting Out Your Bin
Your bins should be put out the night before collection day, or before 6am on collection day. They should be placed on the nature strip adjacent to your property. Your bins should be:
- Parallel to the kerb
- Clear from overhead trees
- Facing with the lid opening to the road
- Away from power poles or street signs
- Spaced at least 300mm apart when both are out
- Not be behind a parked car