We are taking large and small actions, within Council and out in the community, to work towards a sustainable future.
Improving how we use resources
- Solar panels installed at Desailly Street offices, the depots at Sale, Yarram, Maffra; and the Wedge Performing Arts Centre.
- Energy audits of Council facilities has led to new lighting systems at Aqua Energy and The Wedge.
- Recycling batteries, post packs, mobile phones, printer cartridges.
- Four bin system in Council offices to separate recyclables, food waste and soft plastics from landfill.
- Kitchens have under-sink filters for drinking water in Council offices and depots (no plastic bottled water).
- Recycled plastic bollards and signs for parks and paths.
- Replacement of mercury vapour street lights with LEDs.
- Use of recycled concrete as sub-base for some roads and footpaths.
- Sale depot uses tank water. Trees and branches are mulched for use in Council gardens.
- Waste and recycling initiatives to divert recyclables from landfill and recover resources.
Supporting the Community and Business
Enhancing Natural Environment and Parks
- Management of Weeds and Pest Animals on Council roadside weed management.
- Native Vegetation Protection on Council reserves.
- Development of a Biodiversity Plan to guide operational decisions for reserves on Council-managed land.
- Carbon off-set revegetation program for selected locations around Shire.
- Plant trial to demonstrate how plants will perform in landscapes for local conditions.
- Lake Guthridge Water Recycling Project - Water from Lake Guthridge is used to irrigate Council landscapes in Sale to improve water efficiency and reduce the need for potable water for irrigation.