Food Premises

If you are applying for registration, starting a new food premises or alterating an existing premises please follow these steps:

Step 1
Check with our Planning Department to determine any planning requirements for your business. Discuss your plans with a private building surveyor to determine if proposed structural works require building permits.


Step 2
Arrange an onsite visit for an Environmental Health Officer to discuss food act requirements and determine if the proposal is acceptable. You should present rough floor plans, and a proposed list of foods to be sold. Please contact the Environmental Health Office for information regarding construction requirements in a food premises and to arrange your inspection.


Step 3
Once discussions indicate the proposal is suitable, you should submit the following information to Council for review before commencing any structural works:

  • A plan drawn to scale of not less than 1:100 (Both bird’s eye view and elevations)
  • Specifications describing the type of materials to be used in the construction and finishing eg. floor, wall and ceiling surfaces, benches and equipment
  • A proposed menu
  • Contact utility authorities (Gippsland Water, Energy Safe Victoria, Liquor Licensing, South Gippsland Water) to ensure you meet their requirements 

Refer to the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code Food Safety Standards for further information on food safety standards and general requirements relating to food premises and equipment.


Step 4
Structural works may commence once the reviewing Environmental Health Officer permits the structural renovations. The Officer must be satisfied that the proposed premises is acceptable and all legal requirements have been met. Throughout the fit out period the Officer will continue contact through inspections, ensuring that construction is carried out in accordance with the approved plans.


Step 5
Contact the Environmental Health Office to arrange a pre-registration inspection once structural works are complete and the premises are ready to operate. At this stage businesses need to:

  • Complete a Food Act Registration form provided by the Officer
  • Pay the appropriate registration fee 
  • Provide a copy of the final menu
  • Provide a copy of the customised food safety program if applicable - refer to the information on Food Safety Programs below
  • Provide a copy of an approved food safety supervisor certificate if applicable
  • Read the Registering a Food Premises Information Sheet (317KB)

The Environmental Health Officer calculates the registration fee as determined by the business' food activities.  This prorate cost depends on when the business commences operation. For a list of fees please contact the Environmental Health Office. A Certificate of Food Act Registration is issued to a premises when requirements have been met.

Note: Food premises must not commence operation prior to receiving permission from Council’s Environmental Health Department and a certificate of Food Act Registration.


Food Safety Programs & Training

Food Safety Programs
A Food Safety Program (FSP) is a document detailing the steps taken in the premises to ensure food prepared and sold is safe. If changes are made to food activities, the FSP must be updated and submitted to us. Any business selling or preparing food for sale that is unpackaged or requires temperature control, is required to submit a customised Food FSP to us prior to operating (Class One and Two premises). A business may develop an independent FSP which is required to be independently audited by a certified Food Safety Auditor in conjunction with the routine inspections conducted by the Environmental Health Officer. Alternatively, a standard Food Safety Program registered with the Department of Human Services may be implemented. The business will need to demonstrate the program in action at the premises.


Food Safety Supervisors - Training
Every food premises implementing a Food Safety Program is required to nominate a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS). An FSS is required to complete training in the minimum standards as required. Competency standards are set by the Australian Registered Training Authority (RTO) for food service.

The FSS should be someone present at the premises the majority of the time and provide clear direction and train staff regarding the implementation of the Food Safety Program. The FSS must demonstrate they have obtained the required competency standards by providing copies of training certificates to us.

See the Department of Health Food Safety Supervisor Requirements page for further information regarding the obligations of this role.


Purchasing or Selling an Existing Food Premises

  1. A transfer of the Food Act registration must take place when selling or purchasing an existing food premises.  See the Applying for the Transfer of Food Act Premises information sheet (178KB) for further details.
  2. A pre-purchase inspection by an Environmental Health Officer should be requested prior to acquisition by the purchaser or their legal representative. Use our Request for Pre-Purchase Inspection for a Registered Business Form (179KB) to apply. Send the request in writing to:

    Wellington Shire Council
    PO Box 506
    SALE VIC 3850

  3. The purchaser will receive a written report detailing the current condition of the premises and any outstanding items under the Food Act 1984.
  4. This request should detail the trading name and address of the premises, details of where the report should be sent and details of any proposed changes to the premises by the incoming person.  This is to be accompanied by the prescribed fee of $283.00.
  5. The current proprietor is required to complete and sign a Registered Premises Consent to Disclose Information and Documents Form (75KB) provided by the Environmental Health Officer prior to the inspection being conducted. The Pre Inspection report will be posted with the transfer of registration application form to the purchaser.
  6. The application for transfer of registration and the appropriate fee must be lodged with us post the inspection and after completion of outstanding report items. A copy of the Food Safety Program and Food Safety Supervisor certificates must be submitted with the transfer documentation where applicable.
  7. A new Food Act Registration Certificate is provided by post in the new proprietor’s name by an Environmental Health Officer.
  8. Follow-up inspections will then be carried out with the new proprietor to ensure all Food Act requirements are being met.


Closure of a Food Premises

When a food premises ceases trading it is a requirement to notify Council in writing in order to have the Food Act registration closed off. Notification details required are the trading name, premises address, the proprietor name including contact information and the closure date. Send the notification to:

Wellington Shire Council - Environmental Health Office
PO Box 506


Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: * Required