Accommodation Regulations

Accommodation Services

The provision of accommodation services for 5 or more people requires registration with Council. These premises include:

  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Boarding Houses
  • Guest Houses
  • Hotels/Motels
  • Holiday or School Camps
  • Rooming House with (4) or more unrelated persons paying rent or consideration

This requirement is under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009. The guidelines and legal requirements to register an accommodation premises is set out on our Registration of an Accommodation Information Sheet. (128KB)

Rooming Houses are required to comply with the Residential Tenancies (Rooming House Standards) Regulations 2012.  Registered Rooming Houses will be listed on the statewide Rooming House Register that is overseen by Consumer Affairs Victoria. Environmental Health Officers routinely inspect premises for compliance in the areas of cleanliness, hygiene and overcrowding.


Caravan Parks

The operation of a Caravan Park requires registration with Council under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2010.

These premises are inspected for compliance with the legislations in relation to:

  • Visitor amenities, ablutions
  • Cleanliness of sites, rental cabins and vans
  • Potable drinking water supplies
  • Basic fire safety measures
  • Emergency management plans
  • Maintenance of grounds, provision of lighting and general access
  • Refuse disposal
  • Wastewater management
  • Structure compliance
  • Record keeping

Installation of Structures in Caravan Parks:

The installation of rigid annexes and unregisterable movable dwellings requires the notification to Council’s Environmental Health office using a Notification of Installation of a Structure in a Caravan Park Form (158KB). This notification must be signed and submitted by the caravan park operator or owner.

Installations must comply with the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2010, and associated Australian Standards and building regulations.


Caravan Park Fire Safety

Private residents may refer to the Caravan Park Fire Safety page on the Country Fire Authority website for more details. Businesses may refer to the Country Fire Authority Business Planning page for specific details of operating compliance instructions.


Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: * Required