In my area

Relief and Recovery

Wellington Shire Council ensure effective arrangements are in place in the lead up to, during and in the aftermath of an emergency. We are responsible for providing relief services during an emergency and helping to coordinate recovery efforts afterwards.



If you have been impacted by the recent Drought or Bushfire situations, please view our Recovery Support Information Sheet (173KB)

What is a Relief Centre?

Emergency relief centres are established to provide the basic needs of people displaced and/or impacted by an emergency event.

This includes:

  • When your primary residence has been affected by an emergency.
  • Where you cannot get home due to the impact of an emergency.


They are established on a short-term basis to provide temporary shelter, food, registration, and related emergency assistance.

Emergency Relief Centres may not open for every event. If an Emergency Relief Centre is established, the location will be advertised to the community after all details of the emergency situation are known.

You can stay updated on emergency relief options and services by:

  • Listening to local emergency broadcasters such as ABC Gippsland radio.
  • Monitoring our website or Facebook page.
  • Monitoring the VicEmergency website or VicEmergency App.


It is also important to note the following facts about relief services and centres:

  • Emergency relief is typically provided at a community facility in an area that is unaffected by the emergency.
  • If you leave your property you should register with the Red Cross at an established Emergency Relief Centre or online.
  • It is important that you have alternative plans to stay with family or friends or other private accommodation.
  • An emergency relief centre may be crowded, noisy, hot or cold.
  • While at an emergency relief centre, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your entire family, particularly any children in your care.


Animals at an Emergency Relief Centre

  • Wherever possible, residents should make short-term accommodation arrangements for their companion animals, e.g. with friends or family outside of the affected area, or at a boarding facility.
  • There is likely to be minimal provision for animals at an emergency relief centre and all animals are to be under control of their owner and confined to a cage or leash at all times. Council will assist where possible to provide short-term relocation of livestock and horses.




A recovery centre is different to a relief centre. Recovery centres open following a major emergency and are usually located within the affected community or town. They provide a place where impacted individuals can go to access information and support services to aid their recovery from the emergency, such as:

  • Insurance
  • Accommodation and financial support
  • Meeting place for the community to come together and support one another.

During emergencies we may also activate our Recovery Information Line 1300 137 218



Moving Back onto your Property

You will be advised by the CFA or VicPolice when it is safe to return to your property. There may be many reasons why you are unable to return home, such as health and safety hazards, hygiene considerations or missing persons.

If you return to your property and find it uninhabitable contact our Recovery Information Line on 1300 137 218 for assistance.



Financial Crisis Support

If you are experiencing significant loss or financial difficulties due to the damage or loss of property caused by an emergency such as fire or flood, you can access financial crisis support and emergency assistance on the Department of Health and Humans Services (DHHS) website or the Victorian Emergency Recovery Information Line 1300 799 232.



Counselling and Health Advice

If you are affected by an incident you are encouraged to see your GP, call a 24-hour telephone helpline or seek specialist counselling and support services. Talking it over with others often helps recovery from exposure to traumatic events.

  • NURSE-ON-CALL on 1300 606 024
  • Lifeline on 13 11 14
  • Parentline on 1300 301 300
  • Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
  • Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre 1800 015 188



Municipal Relief and Recovery Plan

The Municipal Relief and Recovery Plan is a subplan of the Municipal Emergency Management Plan intended to assist in the planning and preparation for all types of emergencies that will require relief and recovery support; and sets out the arrangements for managing the planning and delivery of relief and recovery activities within the Shire.



Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: * Required