Council is seeking community feedback on the draft Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 and proposed designated dog on lead areas.
The plan ensures that Council meets its obligations under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. It provides a strategic guide for the community towards the goal of responsible pet ownership and to assist Council achieve a professional, consistent and proactive approach to domestic animal management.
The draft plan includes the following key considerations:
- Maintaining qualified and experienced staff
- Encouraging increased pet registration compliance, with an emphasis on cats
- Reducing the number of dog attack incidents by encouraging responsible pet ownership, increasing safety awareness around dogs and enforcing legislation
- Maintaining continued compliance relating to the keeping of declared menacing, dangerous and restricted breed dogs
- Reducing the feral cat population and euthanasia rates of unwanted pets
- Ensuring Domestic Animal Businesses are identified and regulated
- Responding to and investigating animal nuisance complaints in a timely and effective manner
- Responding to any emergency involving people and their pets.
In addition, Council is also reviewing designated dog on leads areas. Due to the predominately rural nature and geographical size of the Shire, Council designates on lead, rather than off lead areas.
Council is proposing to nominate new designated on lead areas at:
- Island Reserve/Port of Maffra, McMahon Drive Maffra
- Within 100 meters of preschool, primary school or secondary school entrances during school operating hours.
Apart from designated on lead areas, dogs can be exercised without leads, provided they remain in the effective control of their owners.
Designated on lead areas are published on Council’s website, animal registration forms and are signposted at specific locations.
Council is seeking community feedback on the draft Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 and the proposed designated dog on lead areas.
Comments and feedback can be made through a written submission. All submissions must be received by 4pm Friday 1 September 2017. Please ensure that your submission:
- Clearly identifies the document name (DAM Plan submission)
- Sets out your views on the content of the document
- Sets out the changes that you would like to see in the document, if any
- Contains your contact details - including postal address (Name and contact details of submitters are required for Council to consider the submissions and to notify people of the next steps in the process).
You can view the draft Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 and information on dog on lead areas by clicking on the links below. Hard copies are also available at the Customer Service Centres in Sale and Yarram.
Written submissions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to:
Local Laws Department
Wellington Shire Council
PO Box 506
SALE VIC 3850
If you have any queries, please contact a member of Local Laws on 1300 366 244.