Wellington Shire Stage 2 Heritage Study Implementation
C92 (Part 1)
Amendment C92 (Part 1) has now been approved by the Minister for Planning with minor changes.
Notice of the approval of the Amendment appeared in the Victorian Government Gazette on 13 July 2017.
A copy of the approved Amendment can be inspected via the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website. A hard copy is available for viewing at the Council Customer Service Centres in Sale (18 Desailly Street) and Yarram (156 Grant Street) during opening hours.
C92 (Part 2)
Amendment C92 (Part 2) has recently been subject to review by an independent Planning Panel. The Amendment has now been considered by the Planning Panel and the Panel report and associated recommendations have been provided to Council. It is anticipated that Amendment C92 (Part 2) and the Panel’s recommendations will be considered by Council at its meeting of 15 August 2017.
A copy of the Planning Panel Report can be inspected below or via the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website. Hard copies are available for inspection at Councils Service Centres in Sale (18 Desailly Street) and Yarram (156 Grant Street).
What is Amendment C92?
Council, in conjunction with heritage consultants ‘Heritage Intelligence Pty Ltd’ and Jessi Briggs, recently prepared the ‘Wellington Shire Stage 2 Heritage Study’ (the Study), which was completed in May 2016 and adopted by Council at its regular meeting of 6 September 2016.
Stage 1 of the Heritage Study (completed in 2005) identified approximately 800 places across the Wellington Shire that were considered to be of ‘High’ or ‘Medium’ heritage significance and require further investigation as part of any future Stage 2 study.
Consequently, Stage 2 of the Study involved the detailed investigation of the heritage values of 72 of the ‘high priority’ places across 9 townships within Wellington Shire including: Cowwarr; Heyfield; Tinamba; Maffra; Boisdale; Briagolong; Stratford; Rosedale and Yarram.
Following a detailed assessment, 67 draft citations and detailed ‘Management Guidelines’ were prepared for places which hadn’t been too significantly altered and retained sufficient original fabric to meet the threshold of local significance.
The Study was prepared in accordance with the requirements of The Burra Charter; The Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance (2013) and its Practice Notes, and the Victorian Planning Provision's Practice Note: ‘Applying the Heritage Overlay’.
The Wellington Shire Stage 2 Heritage Study was adopted by Council on 6 September 2016.
Planning Scheme Amendment C92 is now required to formally implement the findings of the Study into the Wellington Planning Scheme through the application of the Heritage Overlay to the 67 individual places assessed.
The focus of the Amendment is to:
- Apply the Heritage Overlay to the 67 documented places.
- Correct the location of the Heritage Overlay for HO64 (Former Masonic Hall, Rosedale) and HO65 (Former Post Office, Rosedale).
- Include the Wellington Shire Stage 2 Heritage Study as a policy reference within the Wellington Planning Scheme ‘Heritage Policy’ (at Clause 22.03).
- Insert the Wellington Shire Stage 2 Heritage Study as a reference document within the Wellington Planning Scheme (Clause 21.20).
- Insert the Wellington Shire Stage 2 Heritage Study Volume 2: Citations as an incorporated document within the Wellington Planning Scheme (Clause 81.01).
The specific implications and other details concerning this Amendment can be found in the Amendment C92 Fact Sheet (427KB).
Inspecting a Full Copy of Amendment C92
The Amendment documents can be downloaded from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
Hard copies of the Amendment documents can be inspected, free of charge, at the following locations:
- Sale Service Centre, 18 Desailly Street, Sale - Planning Scheme Amendment C92 and all heritage citations available.
- Yarram Service Centre, 156 Grant Street, Yarram - Planning Scheme Amendment C92 and heritage citations for Yarram.
- Stratford Library, 70 Tyers Street, Stratford - Planning Scheme Amendment C92 and heritage citations for Stratford, Briagolong and Bushy Park.
- Maffra Library, 150 Johnson Street, Maffra - Planning Scheme Amendment C92 and heritage citations for Maffra, Boisdale and Bushy Park.
- Heyfield Library (Heyfield Hub), 42 Macfarlane Street, Heyfield - Planning Scheme Amendment C92 and heritage citations for Heyfield and Cowwarr.
- Rosedale Library (Rosedale Community Centre), 8 Cansick Street, Rosedale - Planning Scheme Amendment C92 and heritage citations for Rosedale.
For further information, please contact Ben Proctor (Strategic Planner) on 1300 366 244.