In partnership with Spiire planning consultancy, Council has now completed the Port Albert Rural Residential Lifestyle Lots Review.
The aim of the study was to determine the extent of available land that has a rational potential to be rezoned to increase the provision of rural lifestyle living opportunities in Port Albert.
The study examined the current supply and likely future demand for rural lifestyle lot opportunities based on recent trends and take-up rates as well as identifying opportunities for the potential rezoning of land to meet identified rural lifestyle living opportunities in Port Albert.
The key strategic land use planning objectives of the study were to:
- Establish the availability (or otherwise) of land for potential rezoning to a rural residential use
- Provide for residential housing in a rural setting while preserving and minimising impacts on environmentally sensitive locations and the scenic quality of the landscape
- Ensure that rural residential lots do not compromise the proper and orderly development of the urban areas of the town into the future
- Protect and enhance the natural environment and rural landscape
- Avoid residential development on prime agricultural land.
Update - December 2014
The Port Albert Rural Residential Lifestyle Lot Review – Final Recommendations Report was formally adopted by Council at its meeting of 2 December 2014.
The Report divides the study area into nine individual precincts and provides an assessment of the specific opportunities and constraints of each one, together with recommendations relating to the appropriate zoning provisions.
Council will continue working with the community of Port Albert and will review the potential for further rural residential rezoning if strong growth rates of residential lots are evident following the rezoning of land identified in the Review.
A planning scheme amendment process to formally implement the recommendations of the Review is expected to commence early in 2015, providing the opportunity for further community input.
The Final Recommendations Report is available to download on the link provided below. For any further information please contact the Strategic Planning Team at Wellington Shire Council on phone 1300 366 244.