VicSmart is a streamlined assessment process for straightforward planning permit applications. Key features of the VicSmart permit process are:
- A decision is expected to be made by Council within 10 business days;
- Classes of VicSmart applications are specified in the planning scheme;
- The applicant is expected to submit all necessary information with the application including any referral authority approval before lodging the application to Council;
- Applications are exempt from advertising (notification);
- The application is only assessed against specific pre-set decision guidelines;
- The applicant has a right of review to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
To qualify for the VicSmart permit process, your proposal must be listed and located in a zone or overlay under the VicSmart classes of application. The Applicant’s Guide to Lodging a VicSmart Application will help you to determine whether your planning permit application qualifies under the VicSmart permit process.
The applicant's guide will advise you how to prepare and lodge a VicSmart application and what information you must submit with your application.
Alternatively, you can quickly find out if you qualify by entering the address or lot number of the subject property on the VicSmart Information Page.
Before lodging your application, please contact Council’s Planning Facilitator on 1300 366 244 to arrange a pre-application meeting to:
- Identify the information requirements and decision guidelines that apply to the application;
- Consider whether any specialist advice is required prior to lodgement.
Pre-application discussions help to ensure that an application is lodged with the right information to assist the Planner to process the application within the statutory time frame and avoid the need for further information requests.
If your permit application meets the VicSmart criteria, you can download and complete the VicSmart Application Form and VicSmart Checklist.
A current copy of title (less than three months old) must be provided with your VicSmart application. You can purchase a current copy of title from Landata.
More information regarding the VicSmart permit process is available from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.