When an existing planning permit is still valid, it is possible to request an extension of time from Council to commence or complete a previously approved development.
Note that the following matters will be considered by Council in making a decision as to whether an extension of time should be granted.
- Whether there has been a change of planning policy.
- Whether the land owner is seeking to warehouse the permit.
- Any intervening circumstances which bear upon grant or refusal of the extension request.
- The lapse of time between the permit and the request.
- Whether the time limit imposed was adequate.
- The economic burden imposed on the land owner by the permit.
- The probability of a permit issuing should a fresh application be made.
The Application Form and associated fees can be found here
Further queries about extending a planning permit should be directed to Council’s Planning Facilitator on 1300 366 244.