Applying for a Planning Permit

Is a Planning Permit Required?

The Wellington Planning Scheme sets out controls which determine whether a planning permit is required for particular uses and/or buildings and works on any given property. In order to determine whether you require a Planning Permit, first ascertain the zoning of your property and whether there are any applicable overlays.  To do this, please obtain a free Planning Property Report from here.

Once you have determined the zone and any overlays applicable to your land, you can contact Council's Planning Facilitator on 1300 366 244 to discuss planning permit requirements, arrange a pre-application meeting or to request written advice, this can be submitted using a Planning Advice Request Form (attached at bottom of page).

When a planning permit is required, there are two approval pathways:

  • Standard applications (typically decided in 60 days)
  • VicSmart applications (typically decided in 10 days and only for specified types of ‘minor’ applications).  Further information about VicSmart applications (and how to apply) can be accessed here

Council’s Planning Facilitator can assist you in determining if your application will be a standard or VicSmart application.

Applying for a Planning Permit

To apply for a planning permit (or to amend an existing planning permit) you will need to submit: 

  • A completed Application for Planning Permit Form (502KB) or Application to Amend a Planning Permit Form (1004KB) 
  • Plans (site plans, floor plans and elevation plans).  Example plans are provided below
  • Written description of the proposal and a response to the relevant requirements of the Wellington Planning Scheme (e.g. zones, any overlays and relevant policies)
  • A current copy of title including a Registered Search Statement and Copy of Plan (less than three months old). You can purchase a copy of title from here
  • The relevant fee (please check with Council’s Planning Facilitator if you are unsure)

Credit Card Payment Form can be emailed to with your completed application form and supporting documentation. It is preferred that all applications are emailed (no hard copies required if you lodge electronically).  If you elect to lodge the application in hard copy, you should provide one hard copy of all plans and associated documents.

Example Plans

A new agricultural shed (756KB)

A commercial development (2MB)

An industrial warehouse (1MB)

An application for 2 dwellings on a lot (3MB)


The following checklists are available to assist with specific types of planning applications:

Commercial Development (92KB)

Heritage (90KB)

Licensed Premises (90KB)

Multi Dwellings (96KB)

Native Vegetation Removal (219KB)

Rural Dwelling (91KB)

Signs (89KB)

Subdivisions (93KB)

After your application has been lodged

The typical steps in the standard planning permit process are:

  • Acknowledgement letter sent confirming name and contact details of assessing planner;
  • Assessing planner requests further information from the applicant (if needed);
  • Application is referred to any relevant authorities (e.g. EPA, Regional Roads Victoria etc);
  • Application is publically advertised (if needed). Written instructions will be provided to the applicant to ensure that adjoining landowners and other interested parties are able to comment on any application which requires public advertising;
  • If objections are received to an application, a consultation meeting will typically be conducted with Council, the permit applicant and any objector(s);
  • Council officers make a decision and provide all parties with a copy of the final decision.


  • When a party is unhappy with the decision which has been made, an appeal can typically be lodged at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
  • After a planning permit has been issued, it will also be necessary to obtain other relevant approvals including a Building Permit 


Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: * Required